Monday, February 29, 2016

Parenting through a class 5 rapid

    

To my readers,

              This week I had a moment that reminded me of the time when I went white water rafting. Before you get into the raft, you are given a little lesson on do's and don'ts. One of the do’s is to always stay seated in the raft, and if you fall out the raft, don't stand up when you are in the water. You must remain seated until someone is able to get you, especially when the tides are rough. If you stand up, you risk falling face forward and even worse, breaking your fall on a rock.

             All the rivers are rated on a class scale. The scale goes from 1 to 5. Class 1 is moving water with small waves that are calm and serene. The waves get more intense the higher in class. Class 5 is large, complex, gushing rapids, twisting, and spinning to deliver the consummate adrenaline rush.

            I had a one parent moment, which most people have experienced. What is a one parent moment? A one parent moment varies, it can be a couple where one is a nurturer and the other a provider and or a single parent. Then there are times when your mate is not there because they had to go to work or take care of a errand, and etc.

           I have 4 children and they all needed my attention at the same time. One of my boys was in the tub having a tantrum, my other son was screaming in pain because he hurt his finger, my other little one was screaming in pain because he had a splinter. My other son was crying because he wanted me to get him a snack. I am still recovering from pneumonia and realized there is no time to be sick when you are a parent.

          So with that being said, I had to triage the kids. I had to decide who was priority and take care of them accordingly. I gave the child that was in the tub some attention and directed him to get dressed. Next I went to the child who was screaming in pain because of an injury to his finger. Then I helped  the child with the splinter in his foot. Last I got a snack for the other child.

         Going through those moments of helping the boys that were distressed, I realized that in white water rafting, one of the fundamental rules are to stay seated (calm) in the raft, especially when the waves (situation) becomes rough. I stood up when the water became complex and started gushing all around me (screaming children) and it went from class 2 to class 5 in seconds and I got knocked out of the raft. While in these rapid currents, I remembered the rule to remain seated (calm). While seated I was able to come up with a solution to triage. The situation passed through the class 5 (screaming child/ren) and eventually became smooth again a class 1 (no more screaming).



Come back each Friday for a new blog. Feel free to comment and share. If you have something you would like me to discuss share it in the comments or email osborne.tracie@gmail.com.



Have a Class 1 week on purpose,


Tracie Osborne




copyright 2016 Tracie Osborne All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment